As you know, Lola is a huge part of our lives. Some people just have pets, but Lola is truly part of our family (along with our kitties!). We make room for her in our lives in so many ways. One of those ways is making her comfy and cozy and part of our lives at home. I nearly fell off my seat with excitement when I got an email from the HomeGoods team wanted to collaborate on a special space at home for Lola. HomeGoods has been a go-to decor brand for me for years. I can go around our home and point out pieces I have collected over the years and ironically enough, the first dog bed we got Lola when we brought her home as a puppy was from HomeGoods and we still have and use it today. Since moving into our home over a year ago, it’s been a process moving room to room to work on our decor and finish off our space. It can be an incredibly expensive process for some but also for me, creatively, I have a hard time making decisions quickly and love to take my time to really live in my spaces to see what I need before investing. One of the best parts about HomeGoods is that they actually sell pet products with their home goods, and everything is really affordable, so I was excited to uncover where we were needing a special hangout area for Lola, and us humans, in our home. The office was the perfect place for this. Both Blake and I work out of our home office and spend the majority of our day at our computers. Lola is always by our side no matter what we are doing so when we are having a busy office day, she sleeps all day with us in her bed between our desks. While this fit the bill up until now, a whole corner in our office was sitting empty waiting to get decorated. I wanted to create a modern and cozy hangout space for both Lola and ourselves to be able to take a few minutes in our day to get some puppy snuggles in.
I wanted to create a fun place to spend time with Lola and that meant not only a new dog bed, but a play station for her. Nothing says fun like a break with dog toys am I right? I have to admit I don’t skimp when it comes to getting Lola new toys. I am so lucky she is not a crazy chewer and we can hang onto a lot of her toys over time. Toys and treats are stored in the console for when my sweetie needs a little afternoon pick me up. I love having an arm chair and ottoman for when I want to take a little break, have a cup of coffee and sit with Lola. I Love adding bits of texture with different throws that I can also curl up with and are all cozy for puppy. Sometimes it’s just great to be able to put your feet up, even if I have to sit with my laptop to work on a deadline.
Below I’ve shared ten tips on how you can bring your space to life so it’s functional enough to fit your lifestyle, yet still beautiful enough to enjoy, all with the help of HomeGoods goodies.
- Go tonal // When deciding on a color palette for a space, I love a tonal color palette. I picked out cool neutrals so everything would really blend together. I started the space with this cool gray console table from HomeGoods and built the room around that. I fell in love with the subtle gray and clean lines. So find your favorite piece and build your color palette around it. That goes for everything in the room all the way down to Lola’s dog toys. If you see her toy bin, all the toys have a neutral hue and they seamlessly blend into the other decor pieces.
- Lounge in style // Adding a cozy lounge chair in your office is a great way to create your own little oasis. I find that during the day I have to step away from my screen so being able to get cozy on my arm chair allows for a quick spot to curl up for a break. A big bonus is this ottoman that doubles as an extra dog bed for Lola, and it was such a great price (only $299!)
- Add texture with throws // Adding throws in different textures and colors can add a lot of warmth to your space. I always get cold so I love to be able to wrap something soft and luxe around me as we start to transition into Fall. The faux sheepskin throw on the ottoman adds a the perfect bohemian touch and also serves as a luxe blanket for Lola to lay on. She loves extra blankets and throws as much as I do and I can always find her curled up in them.
- Add black for contrast // Since I gravitate toward a very neutral decor style, I am always looking for ways to add a hint of contrast to pull the space together. Adding a few strong black accents like this black pillow, lamp, book, and artwork are how I pull everything together.
- Swap in, swap out // Instead of reinventing your whole space by getting all new furniture each time you get the itch to totally reorganize, swappout individual items to get a totally different mood in your room more quickly. Simply changing out throw pillows or changing a simple vase to a more sculptural one can transform your space in an instant. Never underestimate the power of changing out your smaller accessories. HomeGoods is one of my favorite places to grab new throw pillows and accessories that don’t break the bank.
- Zen out // Never underestimate the power of fresh flowers and a scented candle to make your space more tranquil. Arrange a simple bouquet with just a few stems of a taller flower for a modern look or gather 3 different style flowers or greens together for more of a bohemian look. My two big arrangements are also made very different by choosing clear or colored glass like these from HomeGoods.
- All about storage // I always incorporate different types of storage when I am creating a space. I actually live in these spaces and it’s important to me that they function well. I picked up some different decorative bins to store Lola’s toys and blankets so that the room would not be cluttered. They are easy to move around throughout the day. I also love the storage inside our cute little console table. I wanted a place where I could store treats, extra pet supplies, extra toys and blankets. I love keeping Lola’s things together and now I have the perfect place to put everything. Bins really help me to organize small items.
- Create a gallery wall // I know creating a gallery wall can sound very intimidating but take it from me, YOU CAN DO THIS. Adding art to the walls is a way to express a mood and add some color or texture to your space. Since I wanted to add contrast with my black and white floral print (only $80), I chose some abstract art pieces with a hint of color. The key to creating my gallery wall was to choose pieces in different sizes to create more visual interest on the wall. I love the added bonus of leaning one frame on top of the console table to a big more dimension. The selection at HomeGoods is great and I love the modern feel of the art we picked out.
- Mix materials // I am a huge fan of marble (as is most of the rest of the decor world) and I have a marble piece in every room in my home. I love to combine wood and marble textures and found this great tray to use as a platform for a vase or candle. Don’t be afraid to mix materials to create a layered look in your decor. Also, insider tip: Always check out the kitchen section at HomeGoods. It’s a great department to find small marble goods for styling. I always head there first.
- Skip the floor lamp // While floor lamps are beautiful, my space is on the small side and I didn’t have the room for one. Just because you can’t fit a floor lamp doesn’t mean you have to go lampless. A desk lamp is a great alternative to still add light to your space. What drew me to this lamp was its sexy angles. I mean, this lamp is good right?? So chic and the brass accents are very modern. Love the angles it’s adds to the space.
We could not be happier with our newly refreshed space. A big thanks to HomeGoods for having amazing decor for not only myself but for all the furry friends out there including my Lola. Would love for you to share your pet photos with HomeGoods goodies with #MakeHomeYours. Look forward to seeing all your furry friends. Hope you loved our office refresh. Tell me what you think in the comments below.
This post is a collaboration with HomeGoods.
Big thank you for supporting all eat/sleep/wear collabs!
Charmaine Ng | Architecture & Lifestyle Blog - If I had your office, I’d be willing to work everyday. It looks gorgeous.
Charmaine Ng | Architecture & Lifestyle Blog
eat.sleep.wear. - Lol! Love that girl!!!! Thank you. xoxo Kim
Paulina Piotrowska - Love this post! 🙂
eat.sleep.wear. - Thanks Paulina! xo
Kristina - Pinned! I also have a dog and love how you styled this room. Always enjoy pictures from Lola, she is so cute.
eat.sleep.wear. - awe thank you so much Kristina!! Lola is truly the best. xo
Melissa - Hi,
I saw your post with Home Goods. Your dog Lola looks so much like my dog. I rescued her and haven’t been able to figure out what breed she is. What kind of dog is Lola? Is she a mix?
eat.sleep.wear. - Lola is a Mini Australian Shepherd! xo, Kim
Weekend Notes - Lauren Nelson - […] Eat Sleep Wear’s office refresh. – Eat Sleep […]
Quynh - Beautiful office. Where is your sideboard storage console from?
eat.sleep.wear. - HomeGoods! xo